I am a big believer that the things that surround us seep into our being and become part of who we are.Â Because of that, I try to bring things into my home that inspire and will encourage my children to become all they have the potential to be.Â When I saw the great quotes in the Modern Minis line from Lori Holt I knew it would be perfect for a runner.Â I want my kids to read the sayings over and over, and I hope it will become part of who they are.Â Plus the bright scrappy fabrics are just fun.
*note- not all cut pieces are shown
From the Main Print Fabric-
- Fussy cut four quote blocks- cut down to 3 3/4″
- 24- 3 3/4″ squares- varying the colors to create the scrappy look in the stars and four square blocks- cut 16 of them down to 3 1/2″
- 10 Strips 9 1/4″ long X 1 3/4″ wide and 6 strips 11 3/4″ X 1 3/4″ for a total of 16 strips (for block borders- not shown in picture)
From the White Fabric-
- 16 – 3 1/2″ squares
- 12- 2 3/4″ squares
- 12- 1 1/4″ X 3 3/4″ strips
- 8- 1 1/4″ X 5 1/4″ strips
- 2- 1 1/4″ X 7 3/4″ strips
- 4- 1 1/2″ X 7 3/4″ strips
- 4- 1 1/2 X 9 1/2″ strips
Star Blocks –
1.On the white 3 1/2″ squares- mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of all blocks.Â Pair up, right sides together, with 16 colored blocks for the star points.Â Sew on either side of the drawn line at 1/4″, cut apart on the line.Â You will now have 32 half square triangles.Â Press open with seam toward the colored triangle.
2. Square up all the half square blocks to 2 3/4″. Set aside.
3. Take one of the fussy cut quote blocks, two of the 1 1/4″ X 3 3/4″ white strips, and two of the 1 1/4″ X 5 1/4″ white strips. Create a border around the quote block as shown, sewing the short sides on first. Trim the block to square it up to 5″.
4. Audition the half square triangles around the quote block, fill in the four corners with the 2 3/4″ white squares.
5. Sew pairs of star points together. Press seams open.
6. Sew rows together as shown, pressing seams toward the star points. Join rows together, press seams toward points.
7. Repeat for remaining quote blocks- will finish a total of 4 star blocks. Blocks should measure 9 1/4″ square.
Four Square Blocks
1. Take four colored squares, 2- 1 1/4″ X 3 3/4″ white strips, 1- 1 1/4″ X 7 3/4″ white strips 2- 1/2″ X 7 3/4″ strips and 2- 1 1/2″ X 9 1/2″ strips.
2. Sew 3 3/4″ strips between the colored blocks, press seams toward colored squares.
3. Sew the 1 1/4″ X 7 3/4″ strip to join the four blocks together.
4. Add the 1 1/2″ X 7 3/4″ strips to top and bottom of block.
5. Sew the 9 1/2″ strips to the sides of block. Square up block to measure 9 1/4″.
6. Repeat for remaining 4 colored block.Â Will finish a total of 2 four square blocks.
Add borders to the tops and bottoms of all 5 of the blocks using the 9 1/4″ X 1 3/4″ strips of the Main fabric. Add borders to the sides of the star blocks using the 11 3/4″ X 1 3/4″ strips.
Join all blocks together and your runner top is done. All that’s left is quilting and binding! * The fabric for the backing of the runner will not be wide enough- use the extra star block and scraps from the other fabrics to piece together a wide enough piece of fabric for the back.
I love how much color this runner brings to my kitchen and I hope my kids will “See the Good, Enjoy the Journey and Live simply * Expect Little * Give Much” through their lives. Thanks for letting me visit from my blog Ameroonie Designs. Until next time!